Friday, October 2, 2015

Thursday Food and Fitness Update (read: boring stats all about me, me, me)

View on my run / walk.
Today's post is going to be one of the boring ones where I just relate some of my fitness and calorie stats.  I don't think I'll be doing these all that often, but I want to put some out there just so I have accountability.  This is about yesterday, Thursday, October 1, 2015.

I did another 4-mile run / walk after work.  It went ok, I suppose – I always enjoy getting out and doing it once I get going. I didn’t feel like I was really doing all that well stamina-wise while underway, but when I reviewed my heart-rate numbers later, I saw that I actually had it elevated into the peak zone (above 85% of my calculated maximum heart rate - or HR) for 34 minutes!  Not too shabby after all.  And I got 4-miles on my feet.  I’m REALLY looking forward to going for another run on Saturday morning – the temperature is supposed to be about 60 degrees.  HEAVENLY!  Fall is finally coming to NE Florida, and it’s about time in my opinion! 

My HR chart for 10/1/2015
About heart rates:  it might seem that with my heart rate so high for so long, I was working out too hard, since "they" say you should generally aim for between 65% and 85% of your max HR. One thing I remind myself is my "personal" max HR is definitely higher than the value calculated by the standard formula (220 - Age).  Max HR is a personal thing - I've seen my HR as high as 183 bpm when I've been really pushing myself (which probably means it actually can go higher), and my calculated max is only 176 bpm. In addition, I've heard that the Fitbit (which I use) isn't all that accurate when you're working out hard.  For real accuracy you need a "real" heart-rate monitor.  Finally, I’m really not enough of a motivated badass to push myself to keep going at max pace once I become uncomfortable.  When I feel like I can’t hack it, I walk.  So I’m really not too worried about me ever working out “too hard”. I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it, but it’s a bridge I haven’t seen on any of my workouts so far :-).

In other news, I got almost 9 hours of sleep last night!  Yes, you read that right!  This almost never happens and certainly not on a weeknight!  Back story: I had to leave work early to pick Connor up from an after-school function, so I was able to get my run in early – at like 4 PM.  Following that I cooked up dinner – and was THRILLED when 2 of the 3 kids actually went to town on it.  Tilapia, pasta and broccoli.  Plain, but yummy (plus, they dump lemon juice all over everything anyway).  Anyway, after helping Cailyn with her homework, I had a slight headache and was tired, from both the run and not getting enough sleep the night before (story of my life), so I took some medicine and went to bed early.  I was asleep by 8:45 pm, and I didn’t get up until almost 6 am this morning.  Needless to say, I feel AWESOME today.  There is nothing like getting a good night’s sleep to make one feel great.  Wish it happened more often.  And without medical assistance :-).

Stats for yesterday:       
1690 calories consumed
2766 calories burned
17,557 steps
110 active minutes

As you can see, not particularly low in calories, but it’s cool.  I always try to keep my calorie intake to about 1000 below the amount burned.  So in that respect, I was actually under on my calorie goal.  This kind of contradicts the principles of calorie restriction in terms of longevity goals, but since I’m still chubby I want to make sure I’m losing weight at a reasonable pace while not screwing up my metabolism by going too low.  And it really makes so much easier to stick to an eating plan when I don't have to stress over what I ate when I see that I burned so many calories over the course of the day. 


All in all, a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment